Saturday, May 19, 2012

Summer LEGO Classes


It's almost Summer again! And that means it's time for the annual tradition of holding free LEGO robot classes at area libraries.  Two years ago, as part of the INCH homeschool co-op that we attend, I taught a class on LEGO NXT Mindstorms robots.  That summer, I was asked if I could do one class at Hayden Library (Idaho).  It was so fun for the kids, as well as myself, that I added Liberty Lake to my itinerary and turned it into an annual occurrence.  This year, I will also be visiting Post Falls Library for the first time!

One or two hours is nowhere near enough time to learn how to build and program these robots, so I can do little more than whet the kids' appetites.  Each class lasts 60-75 minutes and includes a brief, educational slide show, a hands-on team activity, and watching the robots compete in some sort of a challenge.

Most of the robots I use are borrowed from Discover Technology, a non-profit science education organization in Post Falls, which promotes science and technology education to area kids.  They also organize summer camps and have sponsored teams in the FIRST LEGO League local and national competitions.

If you live in the area, and have children ages 9-14, check out the schedule below.  Hope to see you there!

"What is a Robot?" & Demolition Derby
Monday, June 18Hayden10:30-11:30AM, Noon-1:00
Saturday, June 23Liberty Lake 10:30-Noon
Wednesday, July 11 Post Falls4:00-5:30PM

"What is Binary?" & Robot Tic Tac Toe
Friday, July 13Post Falls4:00-5:30PM
Monday, July 23Hayden10:30-11:30AM, Noon-1:00
Saturday, August 25 Liberty Lake 10:30-Noon

2 comments:

Mama Kautz said...

Do we need to sign up for the classes? The library site didn't have any info....thank you in advance

Greg said...

I'm so sorry I didn't notice your comment sooner; I usually have all comments e-mailed to me, but the e-mail address I set up was incorrect. All fixed now.

Library websites are notoriously out of date. You should contact the library directly, to find out about sign-ups. I just did the first set of Hayden classes today, but there are still plenty of opportunities to come to a class.